When you think of a Keto diet, you immediately think of no-carb food intake. However, carbs are not the only factors that determine whether the food is acceptable for a Keto diet. It also needs to be rich in protein and fat content. It may be difficult to determine what’s keto-friendly and what should be avoided at all costs during a ketogenic diet. This is why you should first consult a nutritionist and follow the basic Keto meal plan for a few weeks until you realize what works for your body and what you can actually substitute instead of the things that don’t work for you.
We have roughly come up with a list of food items you should strictly avoid if you’re serious about your Keto diet.
1) Carbs to Avoid:
- Grains – most grains are only made up of huge quantities of carbs and hence, must be avoided at all costs. These include wheat, rice, barley, oats, corn and even the ‘healthy’ grains like quinoa and amaranth.
- Beans of all sorts – These include kidney beans, chickpeas, black beans, green beans, and even the Black eyed peas!
- Fruits – Most fruits are only made up of carbs and need to be completely avoided. These include bananas, apples, papaya, orange, mango, grapes, etc.
If you really wanna have some fruits, make sure you stick to the less-carb ones in limited quantities. This includes berries like raspberry, blueberry and blackberry and 6
- Starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes, corn, carrots, etc need to be avoided too.
- Sugar in any form whether processed or not, honey or sugar needs to be cut off completely when on a Keto diet.
2) Proteins to Avoid:
- Milk and low-fat dairy which includes cheese, milk, butter, whipped cream, etc.
- Factory farmed animal products – This includes salami, hotdogs, beef jerky, and other processed meat.
3) Fats to avoid:
- We use oil to cook most of the daily foods but that’s not a healthy option if you’re following a ketogenic diet. All kinds of oils (soybean, corn, peanut, sunflower, canola) are to be avoided completely if you’re on a Keto diet.
4) Drinks to avoid
- Alcohol – Keto-friendly diet does not allow the consumption of any kind of alcohol even if it’s a flavored liquor.
- Sugary sweetened beverages like coca cola, Pepsi, diet sodas, bottled fruit or vegetable juices, etc are extremely high in carbohydrate content and hence, must be avoided.
5) Processed food to Avoid
- This includes almost all fast food possible. It refers to candies, cold drinks, etc. that need to be avoided absolutely.
6) Artificial sweeteners
- Almost all sweet packaged food contains a lot of artificial sweeteners to it. This can be avoided if we avoid consuming products that have artificial sugars added to them for enhancing the flavor.
- Condiments range from mayonnaise, ketchup, etc to even products labeled ‘low-fat’ that are just a fooling mechanism for crowd generation.