Do you know how they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day? Imagine your body trying to carry out all your daily chores without any energy in it. It is extremely important for us to feed our body a lot of proteins and carbohydrates in the morning in order for it to burn them into energy that will be used to carry out our daily routine. Doctors and nutritionists from all over the world have strongly advised us to not skip breakfast no matter how busy the morning is.
Don’t believe me? Here are some nutritional side effects of Skipping breakfast:
Low blood sugar levels
- It’s important to stabilize the level of insulin and glycogen in the body, first thing in the morning. These will break down and provide energy to the body to carry out daily jobs.
- The effect low blood sugar levels have on our body vary from fatigue, dizziness to complete cellular breakdown due to the body being hungry.
- Now that your body starts getting used to consuming lesser and lesser food, it adapts to storing all the available calories for a period of emergency.
- This extends to the body converting the glucose that gets stored in the muscles. This, in return, decreases your metabolism and reduces your muscles.
Increased risk of heart diseases
- It is believed by many doctors that having breakfast regularly every morning could actually prevent heart diseases altogether.
- Not having breakfast regularly can lead to hypertension.
- Confused?? Dieting does not equal to skipping meals. Every meal that you skip adds weight on your body.
- Since the body has to work throughout the day on an empty stomach, it will increase your hunger pangs. And the more munchies or food you intake during the day, the more weight you’re likely to gain.
Affects your mental health
- A healthy body and a healthy mind go hand-in-hand. Lack of food in the body causes irritation and lethargy.
- This makes you angrier and you tend to overthink situations.
- The lethargy may also lead to isolating self from people.
Increased levels of hair loss
- Hair loss? Yes! Lack of protein intake in the body results in the lesser strengthening of the keratin which keeps our hair strong.
- If there are not enough proteins in the body, chances of excessive or an increase in hair loss are probable.
- This may cause a permanent impact since it takes a long time for the body to restore all the proteins.
Increased levels of acidity in the body
- The body is used to secreting acids. When we feed it something, it enables us with the process of digestion, etc.
- However, if we don’t provide it with any food, it may increase the levels of acidity in the body. The body will not stop producing acids and hence, it also won’t know what to do with the produced acids if we do not feed it.
Your body is actually struggling
- Sometimes when we skip breakfast, we might feel fresh and healthier but that’s not the case. The body releases endomorphin that acts as pain killers against the discomfort the body is facing without its required food intake.
- In reality, the body is actually struggling and starting to eat itself up due to the lack of protein being provided to it.
Complications for women in their cycles
- Skipping breakfast could lead to more irritation or pain during your period cycles and also some irregularities in the timing of your cycles.
Increased stress levels
- Stress hormones are mainly secreted and at their highest in the morning since the body is practically shut down for a period of time.
- Hence, it’s important to eat something in order to bring them down and make sure your day is not filled with stress.
Breakfast is the meal where you ‘break the fast’ which is extremely necessary for the body to function throughout the day. Having breakfast every day keeps you in a better mood and also reduces the risks of a lot of heart, brain, cardiovascular and weight problems.